Sheila's Backyard Barbecue Sauce
Cook's notes: This sauce is inspired by Charlie Riddle's great barbecue sauce at Sonny Bryan's!
- 2 TBLSP vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and slivered
- 4 whole cloves of garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 can (28 oz) peeled, crushed, tomatoes with their juices
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup orange juice
- 6 TLBSP red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 TBLSP liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3 TLBLSP Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp Tabasco sauce, or more to taste
- 1 TBLSP ground coriander
- 2 TBLSP chili powder
- 1 TBLSP dry mustard
- 1 tsp. salt, or more to taste
1. Place the oil in a medium heavy pot. Add the onion and cook for 5-7 minutes over medium heat until golden brown. Stir in the garlic during the last minute.
2. Add all of the remaining ingredients to the pot and combine well.
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to very low and cook, stirring often, for 45 minutes to an hour, or until the sauce thickens and has a smooth texture.
4. Remove the onion and garlic with a slotted spoon; discard. Adjust seasonings to taste. If the sauce is too thick, add a small amount of water. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate in covered containers for up to 2 weeks.
Yield: 5 cups
Per ounce: 44 calories
return from Sheila's Backyard BBQ Sauce to Barbecue Sauce Recipes